Saturday, February 26, 2005

02/26/05 Saturday 10:00am (ish)

It's got me. Damn the changing seasons that can't make up their minds whether to be nice or nasty! I fell asleep on the couch last weekend & it was beautiful out: Doors & windows wide open, house smelling awesome.... woke up shivering my gluts off -- it had SNOWED. A lot. My body's been warning me all week that one of these moments I'm going to look around and find that I've been slam dunked by some annoying little virus. I've been a little draggy in the evenings, & towards the end of each day all week I've felt that little scratchy sensation at the back of my throat that -- if you're really paying attention -- just screams "SICK cooooming!!"

Typically I have amazing recuperative powers, which I attribute mainly to "the routine": When I have the faintest indication something not so nice is on its way, I immediately take care of me. Emergency measures are instituted with alacrity: Meals with fresh fruits & veggies straight from Farmer's Market.. forgo as much as possible imbued with preservatives & junk! No red meat. Bath, hot as I can stand it, for at least an hour before bed. At the same time, herbal tea w/ honey & lemon.. again, hot as I can stand it. (Raises your body temperature in an artificial "fever", so your happy little T cells get to working furiously.) A vitamin & two tablets of vitamin C once per day, and as much sleep as I can manage. If I catch it quick, most viruses decide the property doesn't look nearly as promising as they first thought, cut their losses & move on within 24 hours.

See what happens when I ignore myself? "SCHWAT!" I've been falling asleep early almost every night this week (despite the alluring options requesting my company out here!), but that just doesn't do the trick... and now it's got me. I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been on an all night drunk. (no, I hadn't!) Head pounding, throat raw & dry, lips cracked, body aching, stabbing lazers shoving their way through my pupils from behind every time I refocus my eyes on something else. Crap. Alright... emergency measures forthwith. I'm gonna go hydrate & do the bath thingy, then go back to bed. But I'm telling you, it'd better be gone by tomorrow-- I have company coming over.

1 Comments:

Blogger Puck said...

PLEASE get better... I've MISSED YOU!!!

Sunday, February 27, 2005 4:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home